Saturday, January 1, 2011

Have You Hugged an Elephant Lately?

What can I say but that I'm a sucker for a great picture, but, even more so, a great picture when it is of one of my children. Here is Graham, my first son, in Japan hugging an elephant.

Yet what is even more touching about this picture--and I am sure you can see it, is the happiness and joy in Graham's eyes as he hugs one of the most wonderful animals on our earth. Now, I could go on and on about my son as mothers can only do. I could show you pictures of him resting beside tigers or teaching his Japanese students at Yokoshiba Junior High School, but, most importantly, I just want to take a moment and say, "Thank you Graham."

Thank you for being in the world and making it a better place by helping all of us stop for just a moment and look into the eyes of someone just really beginning his life. Thank you for teaching us what living is all about and thank you for reminding us of what is most important in life--people and animals. We are all we have.

Once we've moved all the toys or electronic gadgets from our living rooms to closets or drawers somewhere in our homes; once all those new clothes we couldn't live without have become unfashionable and sent off to the Salvation Army; once all that food we overconsumed still rests on our hips or thighs, we will continue to look at pictures like the one above and they help us remember why we are here in the first place. It's simple. . . so very simple . . . to just be there for each other as often as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment